#BLACKLIVESMATTER #BLACKMENMATTER #BLACKWOMENMATTER
After School programming is an important part of our service to the community . We are a Non-Profit organization providing an array of resources through;
Arts & Crafts, Physical Education, Computer Technology, Homework & Tutoring, Peer & Adult Mentoring, Adult Education Assistance, Exercise & Health, and Workshops & Webinars! We also prepare our pre-teens for High School & Our Teens for College by providing;
PSAT training, College Tours, High School Tours, NWEA prep, Resume Writing, Financial Literacy Workshops & MUCH MORE!
The Hornets’ Drum & Bugle Corps was founded in 1959 by Youth Service
Committee of the West Side, Ms. Lula Porter and James “Major” Adams. It
quickly became the largest vehicle for youth delinquency prevention
incorporating military based training and precision, brass, percussion and color
guard presentation. The MACC has continued the legacy of YSCW, Ms. Lula
Porter and James “Major” Adams by transforming the Hornets Drum & Bugle
Corps into the Hornets Performing Arts Ensemble blending today’s Hip Hop
culture with the historical value of the military style and discipline displayed by
The program has a multi-cultural base involving youth ages 7 – 21
spearheaded by innovative brass, percussion, color guard and dance lessons providing a total Music N Motion experience. The Hornets Performing Arts
Ensemble is comprised of (2) programs formulated to engage entry level brass,
percussion, color guard performers as well as advanced performers.
For more information on how to join this exciting program, contact Mr. Darryl Gillespie at (312) 421 - 6903
Our community is full of people who want to help. We work to help the people providing services with the people who need them. Check out a few resources below:
Thanks to Rep. LaShawn Ford, we now have testing for the WEST SIDE @ two sites starting Mon. 4/13/20. 400 tests per day at each site, PCC Wellness Center 5425 W. Lake St. and Lawndale Christian Center 3860 W. Odgen. The swab test sent to Lurie Hospital.
FOR UP TO DATE INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19
Do Your Part To Stop The Spread: Protect Yourself And Others
● Frequently wash your hands with soap and water
● Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and/or coughing
● Don’t touch your face with unwashed hands
● Don’t shake hands
● Pay closer attention to cold or flu symptoms
Contact Sports Banned; the Lakefront, Riverwalk, and 606 Are Closed
● Mayor Lightfoot has orderedthat the Lakefront Trail, the Riverwalk, and the 606 are closed. She has also instituted a ban on all contact sports in the city, including football and basketball.
● Police Superintendent Beck stated that any person playing contact sports, including basketball, soccer, or gathering in large crowds, would be subject to citation or arrest. One individual was cited and subsequently arrested yesterday.
● Do not use any playgrounds at all or allow your children to use playgrounds.
● Please see this list for all current Chicago Park District closures.
● If the COVID-19 pandemic is causing you anxiety or stress, you are not alone: this is a challenging time for all of Chicago. We’re in it together and help is available.
● Please consider calling BSCO’s trauma helpline at 833-TURN123 if you need assistance. You can call the BSCO trauma helpline for many reasons, with some examples below.
○ You might be concerned about the constant media coverage
○ You might feel anxiety and stress about COVID-19
○ You might be coping with your own illness or the illness of a loved one.
● The hotline is open Monday-Friday, from 9:00am-6:00pm
ALSO FOOD IS BEING DISTRIBUTED THROUGH ALL CHICAGO PUBLIC SCHOOLS,
MONDAY - FRIDAY 9AM-1PM
*LEARNING PACKETS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT YOUR CHILD(REN) SCHOOLS, IF INTERNET ACCESS ISN'T AVAILABLE
INTERNET & WIFI
UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE SITE
Federal Government Stimulus Calculator
● Use the calculator here to project how much money you may receive if Congress passes the stimulus bill (CARES Act) being debated now
● 80% of American adults are projected to receive a payment
Jewel-Osco is hiring
Costo is hiring warehouse positions
Free Tax Prep
Summer Employment (AGES 13-21)
After School Matters
CHA SUMMER EMPLOYMENT
CITY OF CHICAGO SUMMER JOB
CHICAGO PARK DISTRICT
We are currently seeking In-Kind Donations to help us continue to help those we service on a daily basis! We are asking for the following:
After School 2020
Starting Sept 8th
Major Adams Community Committee After School will be held on-site (125 N Hoyne)! Applications are available on a first come, first served basis!! You can pick up an application at the front desk of The M.A.C.C.